Today is Tue, 21 May 2013 16:59:31 +0100
It is day 141 and week 21 of 2013. There are 224 days left in the year
- 1471 - Albrecht Durer, painter & printmaker, greatest German Renaissance artist.
- 1860 - Willam Einthoven, invented the electrocardiograph.
- 1878 - Glenn Curtis, aircraft pioneer.
- 1904 - Fats Waller
- 1904 - Robert Montgomery
- 1917 - Dennis Day
- 1917 - Raymond Burr, actor, "Perry Mason".
- 1952 - Mr. T, actor (of sorts).
- 1846 - First steamship arrives in Hawaii.
- 1881 - The American Red Cross is founded by Clara Barton.
- 1927 - Lindbergh lands in Paris, after first solo flight across Atlantic.
- 1933 - Mount Davidson Cross lit by President Roosevelt in Washington via Telegraph.
- 0 - Victoria Day -- Canada
This is a PHP implementation of Puppet Master's original perl script (however I cannot locate his/her site despite the popularity of the script). There are some advantages in that and probably some disadvantages. The code is available to tinker with, so is the data file. If you do make improvements please contact me (I'll even set up decent versioning etc), I am particularly keen to add dates that are less eurocentric. If you do add to the data file it is structured so that the first character (B,S or R) sets a Birthdate, an Event or a Reminder. This is followed by month (always two characters), day (always two characters) and year (4 characters, optional for reminders or unknown. Three numeral years are preceded by a space and there is no support for BC). The next character is use to indicate if a reminder must fall on a certain day (this is a bit of a quick and dirty solution for the moment). Finally the string after that is the description that you want to see appear on the webpage.